Friday, January 05, 2007

Coconut Cake

I’m not a coconut fan. Actually, I’ve loosened up a bit in the last few years and can tolerate a bit of coconut in some of the desserts I make (my preferred pineapple upside down cake has coconut; my granola – cranberry almond – calls for coconut and sometimes I follow the recipe and do include it; there may be a few other places where I allow coconut in, though I can’t think of any of them at the moment).

I’ve been eyeing this cake for a while, primarily because I know that Ray likes coconut, AND because this cake looked super easy. Right now, Anne is here, and she also likes coconut, so I finally decided to make it.


This is of course really cliché but, visually speaking, I was kind of thinking that a coconut cake would go well with our snow-covered world of late. The cake is topped with bits of coconut, looking like snow. Our roof is topped with mounds of snow, looking like coconut. Sorry – that is just bad.

I think I’m really just looking for an excuse to post a few snow pictures, as well as a picture of the cake.



Did I mention that we had our third significant storm in the space of two weeks today? School was cancelled for Alden. And, even more noteworthy, the garbage and recycling folks blew off garbage and recycling pick up AGAIN (note Geoff-Steve’s snow capped and overflowing garbage can in the background).

Back to the cake:

Anne says: I ate too much of it. Moist; phenomenal icing: creamy and juicy and complemented the cake (that’s complemented, not complimented, Anne emphasizes). [Clarissa notes: it’d be nice if the icing COULD compliment the cake. It would certainly make for an interesting relationship]. I really love coconut (Anne again).

Ray says: yummy; tasty; nice texture; like the coconut shreddies.

Clarissa’s final word: did nothing for me. Still don’t like coconut and didn’t need to eat more than the one bite I felt I should at least try. The King Soopers house brand Cookies and Cream ice cream I followed it with was way more satisfying.

4 comments:

Spgonahan said...

What a goop!

tuna said...

Still feeling way too full several hours later. A little nervous about what the next twenty-four hours may hold since Milo turns one tomorrow that that will surely mean ANOTHER cake. I think I need to go home to West Medford and fast for a few weeks.

cake eater said...

Anne needs to toughen up when it comes to eating cake. I think some cake eating training in West Medford might help. The coconut cake was surprisingly delicious, since I'm not much of a coconut fan. I really liked it!

Janet said...

Hi Clarissa -- I work with your sister Samantha and love reading your blog. I like to bake, but recent high cholesterol tests have put a damper on my baking. I get vicarious enjoyment from reading about your cakes.

Here is a dessert cake I made recently that you might like. I serve it with seasonal berries.

Judy Mattera's Lemon Sponge Pudding Cake
4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
grated rind of 1 lemon
pinch of salt
Confectioner's sugar (for sprinkling)

Set the oven at 325 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and set it in a large roasting pan.
In an electric mixer cream together the butter and 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar. Add the 4 yolks, one by one, beating well after each addition.
With the mixer set on its lowest speed, blend in the flour, milk, lemon juice, and rind.
In another mixing bowl, with clean beaters, beat the 4 egg whites with a pinch of salt and the remaining 2 tbsp of granulated sugar. When the whites form soft peaks, stir one-quarter of them into the batter. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
Spoon the batter into the prepared dish. Carefully pour hot tap water around the dish to come halfway up the sides. Transfer the roasting pan to the hot oven and bake the pudding for 45 to 50 minutes or until the top is set and brown on the top.
Let the pudding cool for 20 minutes. Lift the dish from the water. Spoon the cake into 4 shallow bowls. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and serve at once.
To reheat: Put the pudding dish in a roaster pan. Pour boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes.